Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Why don't we know more?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Why don't we know more?

I've been getting kidney stones since I was 13.  It was on and off for years until I had my daughter.  Durning my pregnancy I passed 12 stones that we knew of and had to have stent placed while I was pregnant so my kidney didnt' get blocked.  Since I had my daughter I have passed more stones than I can even begin to count.  I had to cancel my daughters 5 birthday party because I had a lithotripsy done on a 2 cm size stone and it broke up into so many peices that it blocked my kidney, they refered to it as a stone river, and my kidney started to shut down.  The ambulance guy acted as though I was making things up as he took me to the hospital because he said stones aren't that big of a deal.  Well, I ended up with a nephrostomy tube in my kidney for 3 months while I attached a bag to it to empty my pee out while the doctors went in and out of my bladder/urter/kidney and removed approx 20 stones.  Once that was done they said "here take some postasium citrate and you'll stop making all these stones".  SO WRONG.  It's been 2 years since all of this and not only have passed 15 more stones, some as large as 1.5 cm, but I have approx 12 in my kidney now.  I changed my diet, take the pills, pee in cups, fight off bladder infections, and do anything I can think of to stop going through this but I'm 31 years old now and want to move on with my life.  This has taken my life over.  I lost my job because I missed so much work, my fiance and i can't go on a honeymoon to far from home because I need to have a hospital near by just in case, I don't even want to imagine if I start to pass a stone during my wedding, and then to top it off my doc has recomeneded that I don't have another baby, he states it like it's just a fact no options.  I want to have another baby or two even.  I can't believe that it's just that simple.  You have stones so you can't have a baby.  DONE.  Why did that come out so easy for my doctor.  It was just like and everyday conversatoin.  Like it's raining outside and oh by the way you can't ahve any kids.  

I need to know that there are other options out there.  My life cannot just be made of kidney stones and constant pain.  

Anyone?  
I wish I knew the answer to that question.  I never found out why I had kidney failure about three years ago either.  I don't have a problem with stones, but I haven't forgotten what that kidney pain was like when I had kidney failure.  There is something wrong with that ambulance driver's attitude.  No big deal?  Is he joking or what?  I don't know the answer to the question about pregnancy either.  I've never been pregnant myself, so I can't pretend to know anything about that.  The doctor said that rather casually?  Say what?  Some women really want children or want more than one.  Men don't get it.