Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Wieght gain, low elecrolytes & chloride, spitting up
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Wieght gain, low elecrolytes & chloride, spitting up

I have a 10 week old baby. She was 6lbs 11oz when she was born. Perfectly normal happy baby. She had slow weight gain for about a month. Finally made it to 7lbs 10oz when she was a month old. So we went back to the dr about a month later. She only wieghted 7lbs. She had lost weight and was sort of limp not wanting to look and play like normal. We brought her to the ER they admitted her to PICU. They tested her blood and found she was low in elctrolytes. They were worried about her low potassium and her low chlordie levels. She was only eating every 3 hrs. maybe 2.5 ozs at a time, and spitting up half the time. They started Ivs of potassium for about a week. Then went to giving it to her by mouth twice a day.They also give her nexium for the acid reflux. The potassium is back up but it does still drops some. They said she was losing some thru the urine. They have weighed her and she is back up to 7lbs 7oz. For the last three days she has been the same. They did stomach and kidney xrays. Everything seems to look fine there. They did a CAT scan on her head they found that there was a little fluid on the brain. But they act like thats nothing to worry about. Everything came back good. Then they did a sweat test to see if it was cystic fibrosis, that came back good to. The drs then said it could be something like Bartters Syndrome. There is really no dignosis to that unless you do a kidney biopsy. Which there not going to do unless there for sure. I just dont know what to think anymore. They run test after test and they have no clue what could cause her to spit up and have low potassium. If anyone knows anything about any of this please let me know, Or if you have any questions that I need to be asking the drs. We are still in ICU and its been 8 days.Just let me know if u know any thing about this . Any thing would be helpfull thanks alot.