Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Will I know if it's passed?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Will I know if it's passed?

I'm new here - was in the ER last week with a 5mm stone from my left kidney that the dr said was close to my bladder. I've been straining my pee for a week and haven't caught anything.  There was some gritty particulate at first but nothing for a few days. I go back Monday for a follow up CT scan and to meet with a urologist.  

For the ladies out there - did you feel it when you passed a stone?  I had pain in my lower/central abdomen and was barfing my brains out...  I haven't had any more symptoms since last week and am anxious about things.

Any thoughts/responses would be appreciated.
Hi Diane-It took me a week to pass my last stone. That was after the really intense pain started and had to go to ER twice for IV pain meds. The day it finally started to progress and move I spent 8 hours walking around the back yard. I would try to lay down but there was no way to get comfortable. When I finally passed the stone I definitely felt it! As soon as I passed it the severe pain stopped. I was sore for almost a week afterwards. I can say it was worse than having a baby and I had absolutley nothing for pain for my first child. When I was passing the stone I took Roxicodone 15 mg. Under normal circumstances I could have never tolerated the amount I took. I think I ended up taking 7 or 8 of them that day. I am in the process of passing another one. I have cleaned the house and done whatever I can do to keep moving as that is what helps pass the stone. That, and somebody told me to drink beer which I don't like but, the night before I think I drank four. Also, lemonade or lemon juice in water (lots of it) speeds up the process. Good luck and I feel your pain!
Thanks.  For me the pain was bad but tolerable - it was the vomiting and dry heaves that were the worst.  I defanitely haven't 'felt' passing anything.  I just hope the dr on Monday says that the stone must have broken up or I missed it and it's gone!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Were you able to meet with your urologist and have your CT scan done? Pain is usually felt when the stone is passed in your urine. But for small stones, it can be asymptomatic as well. Take care and do keep us posted.
I met with urologist on  Monday (11/2) and a repeat CT scan was done.  I was told the stone is still in place and to wait 2 more weeks to see if it'll pass on it's own or not.  This is a 5mm stone.  The dr said if it's not passed by 11/16 then we'll look at options of how to get it out.  Other than the initial episode I have been asymptomatic - perfectly comfortable, no nasuea and no pain.