Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
Worsened renal function after car accident...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

I am a 44 year old, drink very lightly, smoke sometimes and try to eat healthy, even if hat means I also ea quite a bit of carbohydrates, a bit of fatty food etc.

I recently had a car accident, which was preceded by me having a blackout. While in hospital, where i stayed for a week, amongst other issues was the discovery that my renal function worsened with a urea 11.5 and creatinine of 263 (whatever that means!). It was enough for the docs to be worried and, I was put on IV fluids 24-7 for the rest of my stay, which seemed to calm things down, before I was subsequently discharged.

However, I never quite got a feeling the underlying kidney/renal impass was properly diagnosed and dealt with. I now find, am usually well dehydrated (especially at night, in bed) and, I tend to go have massive pees a lot, usually after having a healthy drink of water, in response to thirst. This, perhaps a couple of hours after drinking water.

In addition, most mornings, I feel my feet (undesole area) is slightly swollen and mildly painful.

Also, I have for a while lost weight, even before the accident and, over time, I reasoned that my body had problems dealing with protein and milk-related products (such as yoghurt and milk), since I basically end up in the toilet with runny stomach! I solved this problem by modifying my eating habits slightly by ensuring I take protein supplements for body builders (in powder form), as a way of arresting my weight loss and also ensuring I had healthy protein intake. This I mixed with wheat biscuits and, it helped stabilise my weight, while giving me a basis to go gyming at 30mins every other day.

I am trying to define directions I might want to give my doctor regarding tests to carry out, in order to work out exactly what my situation is? Any ideas please?