Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
blood in urine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

blood in urine

after having urine test there was blood and protein present in my urine after ultra sound they found a shadow on my left kidney and i had a sistoscopy results were normal now i am going for a cat scan .i ca not see blood in my urine but tests show i have microscopic amount of blood in my urine and infection has been ruled out.what could be wrong with me.?
i also have blood in my urine at all times. not sure why have had all test ran and nothing wrong, my dr says sometimes its just like that. i have lots more when i have utis. dont stress it to much with what test you already had am sure your going be fine.
A shadow could be many things including a cyst. A ct scan can help with that. I had one. Which through a ct scan was determined to just be a cyst. But there are other things it can be as well. Severe scarring or cancer is among other things. Not saying you have that just saying that is some of the things it could be. Any kind of protein in the urine is not normal especially consistently. Blood can be from the bladder it doesn't necessarily come from the kidney.
Doubleaaaron has given a good round up of possibilities. Other things to note are:
Small amounts of microscopic blood (only seen via testing) within the urine (hematuria),  suggests injury to the upper urinary tract (kidneys), whilst observable blood (with the eyes) suggests injury to the lower tract (i.e. bladder or urethra). However this is not always the situation.

I would also recommend checking out the following website, especially when an infection has been ruled out: http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/symptoms/blood_in_urine/causes.htm
& http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/p/proteinuria/causes.htm

The trick however is to not read too much, because "Doctor" Google can get it wrong sometimes. Leave it up the professionals to test you properly.

I wish you well.