bmiq
I am an old man of 80 years in reasonable health; I keep walking, driving and doing almost normal physical activity with about 1 hrs morning walk. Normal Serum creatinine limit is upto 115umol/l and Blood Urea normal limit is upto 6.7 mmol/l which in my case remain above the normal limits and keep going up and down. Creatinine was 157 umol/l in Jan 2013 which came down to 130 by end of Feb without any medication. Blood Urea in Jan was7.3 in Jan 2013 and in Feb it was 7.6. Such fluctuations keep taking place for the last 10 years.
In Serum Protein Electrophoresis test, every thing was normal except 'alpha 2 globulins' which was 9 as against normal limit upto 8 g/l.
Last years my GFR was 49 ml/min.
Other Blood tests like Blood Complete Picture etc are alright. Ultra Sound  also shows no abnormality.
With above situation when my creatinine/ Bun readings are not too high, there may be some medicines in homeopathy and/or herbal which at my stage could improve my kidney functions. Can I have some opinion about it?
Hello sir,
How are you? Herbs such as Agathosma betulina,with its duretic properties, as well as Berberis vulgaris, which is said to improve immune functioning have been recommended for kidney issues. However, herbal supplements have not  been extensively studied as prescription medicines. It is best that you discuss this also with your attending physician for proper management. Factors such as your medical history, symptoms present,  results of other diagnostics and overall health are important considerations also. Drinking plenty of fluids is also highly recommended. Take care and do keep us posted.