Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
could this be onset of kidney disease?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

could this be onset of kidney disease?

I am a 40 year old female with a history of kidney stones. Latest ultrasound (1 year ago) noted stones bilaterally. I have had previous symptoms of UTI only to have tests come back negative for infection but positive for blood. The last 4 urine samples have all tested positive for microscopic blood ( all tests done in the past 5 months).

I just had my anual physical 1 month ago and urine test noted traces of blood with no infection. My worry is that this could be a sign of bladder cancer. Could the stones in the kidney's be causing the positive blood results even if they are not moving? My GP has referred me to a urologist and has recommended that I get a cystoscopy. I am still awaiting to hear from the urologist, referals can take up to 3 weeks to be processed. Is this something that I should push or wait for them to contact me?

Latest urine results:

Microalbumin Random 17.4 Normal range below 15 *noted 15-25 MG/L borderline

UrineCreatinineRamdom 14.1  (3.0-11.0 normal range)

Urine blood +1

UrinelekocyteEsterase Positive

Tests negative for infection.

Please advise on what this could be.

thank you for your time.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. The hematuria could be due to the stone. Even if it is not moving, it can irritate the lining and cause hematuria. It can also cause urinary infections resulting in hematuria. It can also be due to tumors. Certain blood disorders, strenuous exercise and certain medications can cause hematuria. Please consult your doctor for further evaluation. He may do tests like urine analysis, blood tests, X rays, ultrasonography, CT scan and sometimes cystoscopy to detect the cause for painless hematuria.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for your reply, I will most definitely keep you posted. I hope it is as simple as the stones and nothing worse. It's hard not to let your mind wonder though.

warm regards,

Leanne