Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
dialysis and its stomach infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

dialysis and its stomach infection

My dad is a dialysis patient from last 2 years.but suddenly he had a stomach infection yesterday.my question to you is will it get cured very fast and what are the measures to be taken in order that such things does not happen in the future.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

For the infection he may need antibiotics. The antibiotic dose needs to be adjusted for patients on dialysis.  He should avoid eating outside and should take proper precautions with the fluids consumed. If he is aware of a medicine or food that’s causing the diarrhea, then avoid it. Further avoid foods like milk and milk products, high fat or greasy food,  foods that have a lot of fiber like citrus fruits and  very sweet foods, such as cakes and sweets.So, take proper precautions to avoid infections and keep him hydrated.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Does your  dad  do  peritoneal  dialysis  (PD)>
Is the  stomach  infection you're  referring  to   peritonitis?

If  your  dad  is  dealing  with  peritonitis,    antibiotics  will  be  administered  to the  dialysis  solution  and  most likely  he will  get   oral  antibiotics  as  well.

How  to  avoid  peritonitis?     Unfortunately  there's no  sure  way  for that.
But  there  are  some  measures  he  can  take.  
~~Always   wash  hands  before  handling any  dialysis  supplies.

~~Wear  a  mask  before  connecting   and  disconnecting.

~~Do  not  allow the  tip of the  catheter  to  touch  ANYTHING.        If the  
tip  touches  anything,  the  unit  must  be  notified.   If this  happens  most  units will  change  the  transfer set.

~~If  contipated,   use  stool  softeners  or   med  recommended  by  Dr  or  dialysis  unit.      Constipation  can cause  peritonitis.

~~If  diarrhea is  present,  talk  to  health care  team, this too  can  cause  peritonitis.  

Of  course  I'm  just  guessing  here,  so these   suggestions  might  not  apply  to your  dad.

Take  care!