Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
eGFR at 70 ml/min/1.73m2 before 61 and Creatine at 110 before 125umol/l...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

eGFR at 70 ml/min/1.73m2 before 61 and Creatine at 110 before 125umol/l

I had a blood test performed twice, having a one week break. The results show that I have eGFR at 70 ml/min/1.73m2 before it was 61 and Creatine at 110 before it was 125umol/l.

Given that, I do exercise about 1-2 hours a day everyday, could this be a cause? I do alot of weight lifting and cardio. In addition, I have stuck to a lowcarb, high protein diet. I eat 2-3 eggs a day, sometimes thats the only meal.

Should I be concern with these results. In addition, I have had an ultrasound on my kidney and bladder, results shown are normal. All other blood tests are normal. In addition, I had a urine test, no presence of blood or protein.

I am 27 years old, asian descent. I weight 74kg and am 6ft. Last year, I had the blood results taken, and it shows it was all okay. I only recently changed my diet about 6months ago.

Please help.
Thanks.

Daniel.
First, your creatinine level affects the GFR calculation -- the greater the creatinine level, the lower the GFR.  I have had changes in creatinine level and questioned my doctor about it.  He said that it depends on how much water I drank before the test, what I ate the day before, etc.  

According to WikiPedia (and other sites), "Creatinine is a break-down product of creatine phosphate in muscle, and is usually produced at a fairly constant rate by the body (depending on muscle mass)."  That is why laboratories test for it.  

It is my opinion that the more you exercise, the higher your creatinine level will be.  Most GFR calculations use an average body mass for males and females.  If you are not close to average, your calculation may be off.