Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
ectopic kidney

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

ectopic kidney

Hello, I have an ectopic abdominal kidney that was found many years ago (20) when I was pregnant. At the time I had an IVP and it showed the kidney in the right pelvis and I had it evaluated by a Urologist. He told me that it wasn't anything to worry about so I haven't given it much thought until recently. I notice a lot of sediment in my urine and some occasional cloudiness. There is no pain or blood or urgency. Sometimes I have pain on my right side but have always thought it might be related to my ovary. My questions are: Am I being overly worried or should I have it checked out? Is there anything a doctor could do for me; I am in my latter 40's and have lived with it for this long.
If I ignore it can it cause me any serious long term problems; can it have an effect on blood pressure or other? If anyone has info or thoughts; I'd appreciate it. Thanks, Tricia
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Tricia,

How are you? An ectopic kidney is a birth defect wherein the kidney is located in an abnormal position. When a kidney is not in its position, there are possible complications such as infection, stones, kidney failure, and increased risk of injury from blunt trauma. If your urinary function is normal and the doctor finds no blockage, no treatment for ectopic kidney is needed. However, regular follow-up for monitoring is recommended in case a change occurs. If you are feeling kidney symptoms, have this checked for further evaluation and management.

Take care and do keep us posted.