Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
elevated CPK levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

elevated CPK levels

Hi I'm a 24 male,I have eleveated CPK levels,I go to the gym & excersize 5 days a week,my first blood test was 950,a week later I did another blood check after the doctor told me to stop excersizing 2 days before test & it went down to 250,I did my third blood test 6 weeks later & it was 717 although the doctor had recomended me to cut down the excersizing time by half to an hour,does High CPK levels affect on kidney function,cause stones & back kidney pains occasionally?I am due for another test in one month,I also take Crestor 10mg for my high cholesterol levels so we're trying to rule that out of the problem.

Thank you
You might want to research rhabdomyolosis. It occurs with severe elevation of CPK, but has many risk factors. Several years ago there was a medication, Baycol, that was used to treat high cholesterol, but was pulled from the market. It definitely warrants a little research. Good luck!
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Are there other signs or symptoms present? There are many causes of CPK elevation and muscle damage. Certain medications, trauma, inflammation (myositis), alcohol, genetic problems with the muscle, and viral infections can all cause CPK elevation. CPK is an enzyme that is found within muscle cells. When the muscle cells are damaged for any reason, the CPK is released into the blood resulting to increased levels in the test.  I would recommend that you continue  monitoring your CPK levels and have regular follow-up with your doctor. Take care and regards.
need help. i have been on vytorin for 4 years and on routine blood tests, my cpk has been in the 500-700 range for all 4 years (2 blood draws a year). I am asymptomatic. This past Jan, i added "flush free niacin" to my morning meds/supplements, and in July i noted my cpk was 1000. Still asymptomatic. In the past, I stopped working out for a couple of weeks and stopped statins for 2 weeks, and when rechecked, the CPK's were still in the 700 range. Since my July 1000 reading, I stopped the statin and niacin for two weeks and was going on a 2 week vacation overseas. I returned on a sunday and had a stiff /sore neck for 2 days prior to coming come and a full body massage hours before leaving, and an uncomfortable 16 hour direct flight home...my cpk on drawing 3 days after my return, was 3888. Aldolase was 26. Only symptoms was the syiff neck...liitle better, but still there. Repeat cpk a day later was 3400. Normal thyroid tests. Work out with weights 2 days a week...mid 40's. I do get upper back and neck muscle strain with my job. Anyone have thoughts/ideas?
Hi,since last year I am having very weird  symptoms ,stiffiness ,back and neck pain,hill pain,I made a tour with many doctors trying to find the answer to my pain,only the cpk was very high 21000,first internal Dr said  it will be rabdomiolisis, ask for a lot of test,all of them negatives,including artritis,even a   muscle biopsy,electromiography,finally they gave me naproxen for 1 month,the symptoms were down,but since two weeks I am star to feel the same...if you already has a diagnostic or even better the cure please et me know,  pranor.