hyperdense kidney cyst
My husband is 48 years old.  In the past two years he has been treated for stenosis of the spine, a fractured hip, kidney stones, and a serious bladder infection.  His symptoms include lower back and leg pain, occasional blood in the urine, and high blood pressure.  His cholesterol and lipids are also extremely high.  He is currently taking an inflammatory prescription for the hip pain and a otc for bone replacement.  
The orthopedic surgeon assured him last week that he would need hip replacement at some time.  He had a ct of the bladder, kidney, and lower organs and a bladder scope last week.  The bladder scope showed no concerns.  The urologist noted that from the ct scan, he had multiple cysts on his right kidney; the largest being 7.8cm.  He also has a hyperdense cyst.  He is scheduled to see a nephrologist in 4 weeks and will repeat the ct scan in 6 months.  
The doctor did not have a lot of answers.  What is a hyperdense cyst?  Can they be malignant?  Is size a concern?  What are the symptoms, treatments, and diagnosis?  Thank-you.

I am a 38 years old male who also has a hyperdense cyst in the left kidney. Mine is 1.8cm.
It was detected last October during an MRI scan. After that I have had 2 CTs and one MRI and there was no change in the cyst, which means the cyst is stable.

Hyperdense cysts are atypical kidney cysts which in CT has higher hounsfield unit measurements (>20). The important thing is to make sure they don't enhance after contrast administration. If they do, then surgical approach is taken. If they don't, then periodic follow-up (4-6 months) is done just to make sure they are not changing in size and/or appearance. Typically the maximum length of follow-up is upto 3 years, after which one can be absolutely sure about the nature of the cyst.

An MRI can also be done to follow-up, but make sure they look at the post contrast subtraction images to check for enhancement.

In summary, if your husband's cyst is small, does not enhance after contrast, then it is safe to follow it with periodic scan. Hope this helps.