Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
i keep dry retching for no reason, why?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

i keep dry retching for no reason, why?

I keep dry retching for no reason and i have no idea why.
It starts in the morning when i brush my teeth, then after breakfast when i usually take a multivitamin and a fish oil tablet, i retch during then and it gets a bit hard to take the tablets...
Then during the day i just feel it in my throat that i'm about to retch, or i actually do retch. I keep sipping some water to prevent anything from happening (i never actually vomit, just gag/retch), and (im guessing this is as a result from all the water) i've been peeing lots too (i'm a guy so fingers crossed i'm not pregnant).
This started yesterday morning.
Also, yesterday while at the gym, i sort of retched (again) but it turned into a cough, and while i coughed it sort of felt sore on my left side above my hip (which i believe is where my left kidney is located).

I'm guessing the source of my retching is due to some slightly extra mucous i can feel at the back of my throat. Not sure why i have some extra, i'm not sick or anything, though 2-3 weeks ago a number of my college classmates had a cold while i never contracted it.
Also i have a pretty sensitive gag reflex (my dentist can confirm this lol, and for this reason i dont even eat lollypops), which is probably why im retching from a little extra mucous at the back of my throat.

Is this anything to worry about, or will this just go away?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Your symptoms of retching and throat irritation could most probably be due to allergens. These are substances like pollen, dust, animal dander, certain foods, insect venoms and certain medications. Exposure to allergens causes nasal congestion with a resultant post nasal drip where secretions from the nose go backward into the throat and irritate causing cough. Cough is a protective mechanism by the body as it helps to prevent infections. You will need to consult your primary care physician for proper clinical assessment. In the meantime for relief from your symptoms you could do warm salt gargles and take OTC antihistamines.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.