kidney atrophy
I was recently diagnosed with an atrophied right kidney.  My left kidney is enlarged and appears to be compensating.  I found out by accident during an mri of my back.  I just saw the nephrologist today and he ordered and ultrasound and some urine tests.  He said I don't need to be on a special renal diet and just continue with my cardiac diet (my gfr is 48 and I am in the middle of stage 3 kidney disease) but every website I researched including the national renal assoc say that I should be on a restricted protien, potassium, sodium, etc, etc, diet at stage 3.  I hear there is some controversy lately about renal diets being necessary or not.  Are any of you im a similar situation and also advised not to be on a renal diet??

Thanks, Mare9111
I have stage three kidney disease and was told to be on a kidney diet. It is to avoid foods like oranges, green leafy veggies, tomatoes, potatoes, nuts, etc. there are various list on websites with a more comprehensive listing. As well it is a low salt cardiac diet. The explanation I was given is that it reduces the load on the kidneys and can cause your GFR to stay the same or improve. I don't have a reduction in protein just eating the right amount of protein versus the large portions westerners normally eat. I come from cattle country - giving up my BBQ'd steak was not an option! Although they did say to cut down red meat by 50% so I have cow just less often. Getting a little sick of chicken.

I hadn't read anything about this being a controvery. It certainly is a given on all of the kidney health websites I've been to