kidney failure and BP medicine
Can you tell me which BP medicine is the most effective and will not hurt the kidneys?  My doctor has put me on Amloddipine Besylate which does not seem to be working so well. I have talked with him about this and he referred me to my PCP, which does not make sense.  Isn't he suppose to know what medicines are best for the kidney's? Help! Thank you for your response.
Signed,
frustrated and confused
Medications for lowering blood pressure which can be used in kidney failure are angiotensin converting enzyme  inhibitor since they protect your kidneys and lower the risk of heart disease. Other medications which can be used are beta blockers, calcium channel blockers, diuretics. It is best to report any side effects from your medicine to your doctor and never stop taking any of your medications on your own. It is best to seek the opinion of your nephrologist and get your doubts clarified.
Best luck and take care!
Thank you so much for replying to my question. In your opinion and experience with patients, do you think ACE's work better at lowering bp then Norvasc?
I'm trying to remember: don't ACE's often cause a nagging cough in some people? Seems my Dad went through that. Beta blockers are helpful if you don't have asthma. I use a calcium channel blocker for my arrhythmias with no problem. I think it's kind of a trial and error process. What works well with one person may only have a marginal effect in another.