Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
kidney infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

kidney infection

My boyfriend thinks he has a kidney infection because he has a pain in his right side and it burns when he goes to the bathroom. He had the same thing before and we do not have much extra money to go to a Dr. so he was wondering if there was something he could do for it. Does drinking cranberry juice work or is that just a myth?

Jules
Cranberry juice (pure, not the cocktail with sugar) is good for a bladder infection, but I'm not sure about kidney infection.
If he does have a kidney infection, get to a doctor asap and get some medication. You don't want that kinda thing getting any worse - trust me!
You have not specified the site of the pain but i am assuming it is in the lower abdomen area.Is it one-sided or felt low in the middle?Is it intense and associated with vomiting,coming on and off? Did his previous episode of pain just subside or was a visit to the doctor made?
Here are my suggstions. First keep drinking plenty of water-about 10-12 glasses or more in a day.If the pain begins to subside and the burning sensation begins to subside in 6-8 hours then you can continue to flush his system with water.If pain persists do visit your doctor at the earliest .You may have to get urine examined and probably an ultra-sound scan of the abdomen.
My boyfriend got an RX for Amoxcillian (sp). The Dr. that wrote him the RX didn't want to write the RX because he didn't do an exam on him. So I hope it will clear it up???

Thank you,

Jules