Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
kidney issues following metal on metal hip replacement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Is anyone aware of any studies concerning the effects on kidneys following metal on metal hip replacements?

I find it curious that the incidence of kidney disease over the past 15 years has increased at the same time metal on metal hip replacements became widespread. Lately those metal on metal devices have been shown to be a train wreck, with metal particles entering the bloodstream.

Probably too soon for any studies related to kidneys, but maybe not...anyone know?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Studies are being done to detect the effects of metal implants on the kidneys. Problems can occur with all-metal implants when friction between the components causes tiny metal fragments to break off. All patients with these products are advised to see a doctor to check levels of cobalt and chromium in their blood and whether they have any muscle damage.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you for the reply. Almost exactly a year from the date of my recalled styrker hip replacement I developed kidney inflammation, dumping protein and blood. The condition has steadily progressed despite treatment.

My feeling is that the body interprets the inflammation/corrosion/metal particles as an infection and has gone into over drive trying to attack a condition it cannot successfully fight and has begun to attack the system as a whole, including the kidneys.

I do know that this type of kidney inflammation has been linked to autoimmune responses- Lupus, for example- and is treated with steroids and immuno-supressant medications.

I believe there might be a connection to the faulty implant.

Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Like I said studies are being done. Now when the metal particles enter the circulation, they have to exit through the kidneys, and they could get clogged or obstructed or it could set off an inflammatory response. Only scientific studies will help confirm.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Still dumping protein from kindey inflammation. Doc has me taking prednisone
and cyclosporine, the typical regimen for nephrotic syndrome. I still believe the implant and kidney inflammation are related. There appears to now be some lateral swelling on the replacement side...