kidney
i am 37 year old male after having a ultrasound i just found out i have no left kidney of which it has been since i was born  and my right kidney is very enlarged with a cyst on it im waiting to go for a ct scan can anyone tell me what this means and is there a name for this condition thank you
  You  have  polycystic  kidney  disease.
As  far  a  no  left  kidney  I'm  not  sure  if  there's  a name  for  that  condition.   I  too  was  born  with  only  one  kidney,  Dr  never  did  mention  a name   nor if  it's  a  condition  other  than "birth defects"
Correction to my  last  post,  I  just  googled  it.......  there  is  a  name  for  a  single/solitary   kidney  it's  called    "renal agenesis"
Be sure and see a Urologist, first and foremost. Then, get him to tell you where on the 'Bosniak Scale' your cyst falls (http://www.kidneycancerknol.com/index.php/Bosniak). I have NUMEROUS renal cysts on my left kidney (too many to count) and they are mostly Cat.2 & 2F. Luckily for me, no cancer detected yet (fingers crossed).

If your Urologist feels your cyst is operable and it's necessary to remove it/them, they'll perform a Cyst-Decortication. They basically shave off the top of the cyst, drain the fluid, and cauterize it. It can be done laparoscopically and doesn't require open-surgery. I had one done recently and was in-patient for 3 days, and most of that was getting a nagging fever down.

Don't sweat the 1-kidney thing. You've been like this your whole life, and if not for the cyst, you may never have known. Now that you know, just try to stay healthy. I cut alcohol out of my intake 100%. Not sure if that's an option for you, but if it is, I strongly suggest you doing the same.

Good luck to you!