Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
leg/calf pains and cramps after Kindey Stones

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

I am a 49 yr old healthy male. I had a 2 day bout with 2 stones last weekend (7 days ago) . I was in the ER 3 times and was loaded up with Toradol and Dilaudid for basically 48 hours straight.
After passing the stones my kidney, uteter pains etc were mostly gone in 48 hours but i started getting bad leg cramps in the calfs. This has been ongoing for 5 days now and I feel like i just hiked up a mountain!

My doctor told me to drink lots of Gatorade and V8 juice but that is not helping.

Could this be a problem that i need to go back for blood work? clots? or is this severe cramping due to the straining and spasms i went thru from the pains? Or are my muscles still full of drugs that have not worked out?

Suggestions?

Chuck
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there,
There are many causes of cramps in calf muscles like dehdyration, electrolyte imbalances of sodium, potassium, magnesium, and calcium all can cause calf cramps. Heart medications and blood pressure medications can also cause drop in potassium levels and cramps. Electrolyte imbalances in diseases like diabetes, kidney disease, hypothyroidism, and Addison's disease all can cause calf cramps. Drink plenty of water and avoid dehydration. You should see a doctor and get evaluated. A clinical examination and work up is important for confirming the exact cause of your symptoms. Keep me posted.
Take care and regards!