low kidney function
My husband has high potassium, high creatine, high cholesterol and has been vomiting.  Our family doctor has repeated his blood tests over the past 3 months and is now sending him to a kidney specialist.  My husband has said that his doctor is concerned about low kidney function.  Last week he had a ultra sound on his kidneys and that was clear.  Any idea what the prognosis could be, I'm concerned that my husband is afraid to share all the information with me because he does not want to worry me...but I want to be prepared if it's not good.  Also, he is only 41 and he is taking anti depressants.
Thank you much,
Park 33
How are you? How is your husband? It is good that the ultrasound of his kidneys is fine. Does he have diabetes or hypertension? Creatinine is a waste product that the kidneys normally remove from the blood. If the kidneys are not working properly, these substances may build up in the blood. Elevated creatinine may indicate decreased kidney function. Additional tests to evaluate the kidney function better may include glomerular filtration rate as well as urine tests to check for protein or red blood cells.  Healthy kidneys measure potassium in your blood and remove excess amounts. Diseased kidneys may fail to remove excess potassium. With very poor kidney function, high potassium levels can affect the heart rhythm. Another problem that may be associated with kidney failure is too much cholesterol in the blood which may be due to a high-fat diet.
This link may be of help: http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseases/pubs/yourkidneys/#6

Take care and keep us posted.