Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
low protein diet for kidney disease
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

low protein diet for kidney disease

Do you think a low protein diet can stabilize  a patient with stage four kidney disease?  I have had stage 4 kidney disease for almost five years.  I have maintained a creatinine level of 2.9 through diet.  I watch my potassium, under 2,000 mg & have stopped eating animal protein.  I still eat eggs & cheese but other than that no dairy.  I think it is a small price to pay to avoid a kidney transplant.  My weight is stable under this regimen after years of yo yo dieting.  If I can do it anyone can!     sheila6454  
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hello and hope you are doing well.
In patients with chronic kidney disease you need to limit fluids, eat a low-protein diet, restricting salt, potassium, phosphorous, and other electrolytes and at the same time get sufficient calories. Few dietitians specialize in kidney diets. Your dietitian can help you create a diet to fit your needs. There have been few studies which found that low protein diets can delay end‐stage kidney disease. I would advise you to continue with your diet and consult a dietician for more details. You may need calcium supplements to prevent bone disease and vitamin D to maintain calcium balance. Iron supplements may be needed if there is anemia. Do talk to your doctor before making any dietary changes. Keep me posted.
Best luck and regards!
Blank
Thank you Dr Sharma     I do take iron & vit D supplements.  My Calcium is usually on the high side of normal.  I would like to think I can postpone a kidney transplant indefinitely, my numbers are very stable.  My doctors are amazed at my progress.
Blank
Im on a similar diet. I'm diagnosed with IGA nephropathy on kidneys so the same type of diet I follow.. I feel the same way about not having  transplant. I prefer to change my diet .doctor told me I'm stage 1 because kidney function is still good...but I think low protein diet can stabilize it..
Blank
I think stage 1 can be managed well through diet.  Vigilance! & you can avoid a horrid transplant!   I am glad your condition was caught early!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Kidney Disease & Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...