Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
muscle spasm under upper rib cage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

muscle spasm under upper rib cage

I am a fifty nine year old female. About four years ago I was reaching for something in a cubbard when I had a sudden severe muscle spasm (like a severe leg cramp) in my right upper stomach directly under my rib below my breast. The pain was so severe I had to lay very still before it finally went away and I was very tender in that spot for a couple of days. The pain continued every time I stretched from my right side.Now even bending to tie my shoes or make my bed causes the same severe reaction . this is on a daily basis. I have gone to see a nurse practitioner and she is sending me for an ultrasound to rule out an enlarged liver  and blood tests for hep c or b. I have no idea why she would consider this...any ideas ? This pain is severe enough that I can't do any work that requires stretching the right side of my body..and horrendously the career i have chosen and am in training for (Personal Support Worker) require that I do allot of stretching and bending.Please help me.
OMG... i have had the exact same thing only on the left side. I also have no idea what it is!
I went to the ER last night to get a quick strep test. It was negative, but because I have been really tired lately and have had a sore throat for 3 weeks, they did a mono test. I will know today. Funny thing is when I did research about mono, the spleen is right where my cramp is! And I get it when I bend over...probably putting pressure on it! Will let you know later what my findings are!
i too have this same problem. It doesn't happen all the time, but it is whenever i am reaching for something. But i can be reaching to the left and the right side goes into spasm. Same it is so painful i cannot move. Gonna have to get to doc and see if he has any ideas??
I just experienced the same pain on my right side. It feels just like a gall bladder attack, but subsides within 2-3 minutes. I thought it was my gall bladder the first time I had this, but I soon realized that it would happen when bending my upper body a certain way. Tonight, I actually felt a "glug-glug" when I straightened my body out to deal with the pain. All that I know is that this pain is intense!