Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
parapelvic cysts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

parapelvic cysts

I recently had an MRI due to back pain.  This showed mild to severe narrowing in the lumbar spine.  As an incidental finding it also showed parapelvic cysts or hydronephrosis.  I then underwent an ultrasound, which in turn recommended a CT scan.  The CT scan impression was "extensive parapelvic cysts bilaterally with no evidence of hydronephrosis".  Since I am symptom free, is there any reason to seek further medical advice for these cysts?  One doctors wants me to see a nephrologist; another doctor says no further treatment is necessary.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you?  parapelvic cyst are also called renal sinus cyst, pelvic cyst, peripelvic cyst or parapelvic lymphangiectasia.  Parapelvic cysts are a rare form of simple renal cysts, and they are much more commonly associated with the symptoms of obstruction, pain, infection and stone formation. Surgical management is usually done for big cysts, lumbar pain, hematuria, hypertension and other complications. Otherwise there is nothing to be worried about. If you are more comfortable with discussing this further with a nephrologist, it is your prerogative, and don't forget to  bring your ultrasound and ct scan results for his evaluation..

Take care and keep us posted.

hi there.,my husband had his ultrasound and the finding is there was a 4.2 simple para-pelvic cyst in the right kidney.,the doctor says theres nothing to worry as the cyst will just burst on its own,.but i am really worried about it.,is it possible that it would be treated?thanks
I have had a lower back problem for sometime and requested a copy of the doctors findings to discover that in 2010 and 2011 the interpreting physcian made mention of a bilateral probable parapelvic renal cysts. He states (2011) that it should be evaluated with dedicated imaging, it is 9 mm non-specific cystic left renal lesion and incompletely characterized.  I was unaware of the cyst and recently ended up in the ER for a UTI and the bacteria was to high to count.  Could this be related to the problem diagnosed back in 2010 and recent 2011 back issues.