Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
pregnancy with one kidney

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

pregnancy with one kidney

Greetings to all

my wife is 22 years old. last year she have pain in its left side in stomach. pain direction coming to her bladder when we got medical consultancy, lady doctor told us that her left kidney is shrinking and only in 3 months my wife lost her left kidney we also got results from DTPA scan in which the results was "non functioning left kidney and right kidney in good conditions" and now after 3 months from losing left kidney my wife is pregnant and this is her first month but she have continuesly pain in its right side of stomach we consult with gaynocologist and urologist. urologist told us that the pipe line between right kidney and bladder having pressure by the utrus which causes pain and if the pain is not stop then 3 months before from delivery a strunt (i dont remember what he actually said) will put in the pipe line to stop pressure.
now i want to know that if the pain not stop until 7th month then how can right kidney survive because the left kidney was waist only in three months
so is this pregnancy risky for the kidney or we continue it?
You really need to go back to the urologist and have them explain it. Or seeking a second opinion may be a good idea just to be on the safe side. Bring a pad and paper in with your questions. I think the strunt you are talking about may be a stent which is a little tube they insert up the bladder and into the kidney to keep everything open. If she is in pain now though I think she needs to know if there is a risk to her or the baby. A nephrologist is a specialized kidney doctor - you may find more answers through them. I'd ask your family doctor what they think.

I think you need more answers than they are giving you, so you need to go back and stay until you are satisfied with the answers they are giving.