renal failure
My dad (92) has only 1 kidney and that kidney is at about 19% function.  He has very bad edema in both legs with little to none circulation.  He does not want dialysis.  A few weeks ago his edema got so bad his skin was splitting.  After 2 trips to the kidney doctor, 1 to a vascular surgeon, and many to wound care the sores are healing.  The kidney doctor put him on 4 times his regular dose of lasix (i believe that is a diuretic).  The kidney doctor wants him to loose 10 lbs (fluid) and he has lost about 7 as of date.  He has been evaluated for hospice and I was told his renal failure was not bad enough to qualify, so they are using a diagnosis of Failure to Thrive.  I am under the impression that in order to qualify for hospice the experts have to diagnosis as having less than 6 months to live.  It really scares me especially since my mom passed just this last december ( 5 days after being put on hospice - although she qualified four months prior but I would not agree)  
My dad also has parkinsons, high blood pressure, coronary heart disease.   I know no one can predict when or how death will occur but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas.  
Hospice has been very supportive for me, but I am still scared for my Dad