Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
shadow found on right kidney..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

shadow found on right kidney..

I had an ultrasound done on for my gallbladder not long ago, and they said my gallbladder looked fine, but my right kidney had a small shadow on it. My question is what test should I have done for this? Should I be concerned?
thanks for any answers.  
Did your doctor recommend that you see a specialist?  Or order another test?

My daughter had an ultrasound last year and the doctor said she had a complex cyst on her kidney.  When she went to the nephrologist (kidney doctor), he ordered an MRI.  The MRI showed there was absolutely nothing on her kidney.  It was just an error or a misreading of the ultrasound.  An ultrasound is not as accurate as an MRI.

Just to ease your mind, talk to your doctor, explain your concerns and ask whether you should go to a specialist to have it checked out or maybe get another (more accurate) test like a CT scan or MRI.  

Good luck!

Vicki
Avatar_dr_f_tn
hi,

Do you feel any symptoms such as pain in the back or flank area? Shadows in a kidney ultrasound can show the presence of a stone. This is because sound waves cannot pass through a stone, thus, it "casts a shadow" on the ultrasound picture. Kidney stones are a fairly common problem and the following can increase your risk of developing kidney stones: family history, lack of fluids, age and sex, diet, limited activity, obesity, high blood pressure, and changes in the digestive process. Kidney stones often pass without any kind of medical assistance. It would be best to see your doctor and discuss your ultrasound result and eliminate other causes. Take care and keep us posted.