Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
trace amounts of protein in urine

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

trace amounts of protein in urine

i was recently told by my doctor that trace amounts of protein were found in my urine.  i have had a long history of kidney stones, over 10 yrs and have been seen a urologist for kidney stones. could the trace amounts of protein in my urine be connected to  the nephrolithisis?  my md (not my urologist) prescribed an ace inhibitor benazipril 10 mg to protect my kidneys from damage, and said the the trace amounts of protein in my urine may be due to the kidney stones. is this the usual therapy and should i worry about renal failure?
I have MSK and both of my kidneys are FULL of stones.  I also always show protein in
my urine!  Both my uro and GP have not been really concerned, but a friend a patient pharmacist, told me I need to be on the meds you  mentioned to prevent kidney damage.

Both of my doctors however said the only way to really tell if the protein levels are significant is do to a 24 hour urine.  So am to do one AFTER my son's wedding when I can afford it.

Did your doctor have you do one?

Are experiencing any side effects of this medication?  I am just curious so I know what to expect if that is needed.
how much protein do you show in your urine? protein in urine could be a sign of progressive kidney failure.  i am going to be taking a 24 hr urine in October 2009, hopefully the news is good. as far as the benazepril 10mg i haven't had any side effects...one of the most common side effects with blood pressure pills is a cough that could appear at anytime.  also it is a good idea to keep your blood pressure below 130/80.  sorry i took so long to answer.