Kidney Disease & Disorders Community
where does it hurt with kidney pain?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to kidney disease and disorders, dialysis, self care, and transplants.

where does it hurt with kidney pain?

I had surgery 1 1/2 years ago due to a softball size tumor on my ovaries. The Dr  removed both ovaries and my appendix. He also did a mini tummy tuck and I have had abdominal pain on the right side ever since  However the pain is up closer to my ribs.  There is an area that always hurt like a sharp pain and sometimes I feel like my intestines are swollen and a fist up under my ribs.  I had my gall bladder removed years ago and the Dr`s think my pain may be adhesions.
During various test they found a mass on my right kidney which is at stage 2 and we are monitoring for changes. Right now my front abdomen hurts but also alot of pain in my back closer to my spine and right at the lowest rib.  Can the kidneys cause this type of pain?
I think kidneys could cause that kind of pain. It seems about the right area if the pain is off to the side. It isn't usually central.

If you have adhesions you may want to look into something called craniosacral massage. I used it for adhesions after my kidney surgery and it helped a lot. Make sure they are at a high level of training. You can take a course and say you specialize in it so it is a bit of buyer beware.
thank you so much for the recommendation
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The pain appears to be in the area where the kidneys are located, which is at the back below the ribs and next to the spine. The enlarged kidneys can stretch the peritoneum and cause this type of pain. The cause needs to be dealt with for relief from this pain. Discuss these options with your consulting doctor. In the meantime you can take OTC pain medication Ibuprofen. Ensure to take this medication after food to avoid gastritis.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.