Kidney Stones Expert Forum
6 mm hypodense lesion in the right kidney

Welcome to the Kidney Stones Forum. This is a place to ask your personal questions about kidney stones and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of kidney stones.

i had a mri done for back pain on 06/25/12. a  solid 6 mm lesion was noted in the right kidney midpole , the postior aspect. i was referred to an urologist, who ordered a ct abd/pelvis w & w/o contrast on 08/30/12, and it stated a 6 mm hypodense lesion in the posterior and inferiorr right renal cortex. on 12/11/12 the ct with contrast was done and the impression stated,a 7 mm low-attenuation mass arising from the inferior right kidney. what would be the causes for this lesion and why is it continuing to grow. i'm in continuous back pain, and when i asked the urologist would something this small cause me such pain, he said know. i would like to know should i seek the aid of a nephrologist?
I agree that given what you've described, the lesion would be an unlikely source of pain.  Something that small with imaging characteristics that you've described is difficult to classify -- it could range anywhere from a completely benign growth like a cyst to a pre-cancerous or even cancerous growth, and I would probably follow it with imaging as your urologist is doing.  A nephrologist would have nothing to add to this -- they do not deal with lesions like this in the kidneys.  Even in the WORST case scenario, that this tiny lesion is a cancer, it would be very unusual for it to progress to an uncurable state or to spread and if it continues to grow on imaging, it will probably need to be removed eventually