Kidney Stones Community
Blood in urine question

Kidney stones, also called nephrolithiasis are solid pieces of material that form in the kidney from substances in the urine. Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms and passing kidney stones.

Blood in urine question

I am a 40 year old female with a history of kidney stones. Latest ultrasound (1 year ago) noted stones bilaterally. I have had previous symptoms of UTI only to have tests come back negative for infection but positive for blood. The last 4 urine samples have all tested positive for microscopic blood ( all tests done in the past 5 months).

I just had my anual physical 1 month ago and urine test noted traces of blood with no infection. My worry is that this could be a sign of bladder cancer. Could the stones in the kidney's be causing the positive blood results even if they are not moving? My GP has referred me to a urologist and has recommended that I get a cystoscopy. I am still awaiting to hear from the urologist, referals can take up to 3 weeks to be processed. Is this something that I should push or wait for them to contact me?

Latest urine results:

Microalbumin Random 17.4 Normal range below 15 *noted 15-25 MG/L borderline

UrineCreatinineRamdom 14.1  (3.0-11.0 normal range)

Urine blood +1

UrinelekocyteEsterase Positive

Tests negative for infection.

Please advise on what this could be.

thank you for your time.
.
Hi, I'm just a member like you and not a medical professional but can mention that from my own experience when I have any stone activity (even tiny ones in the kidney) I get micro hematuria, too.  I have had 2 cystoscopes to rule out anything abnormal (6 mos apart) and all was fine with me.  I can go  years with the micro hematuria showing up and then nothing for a long time.  Finally my Uro realized it's all stone related as they move around in and outside the kidney.

Hoping you get your appt and answers soon.

Any type of blood finding in the urine is essential to be further investigated.

C~
Hi there, thank you so much for your reply. I hope that's all it is too. It's hard not to let your mind wonder, expecially with all the info they have now on the internet.

I will definitely keep you posted.
I have just found out I have blood in urine with no uti.retesting in a month and I am terrified of cancer. I have 3 boys also! Does blood always mean cancer? I'm so scared I can't function.
Blood in the urine does NOT mean it is cancer.

It is likely you have a kidney stone somewhere in the urinary tract.  Sometimes women can show blood in the urine because of the beginning or the end of menstruation.  You can catch your urine in a container and look at it.  What colour is it, is it cloudy or does it settle with sediment, does it smell?  

Drink plenty of water at least 2-3 litres throught the day.  It is very important to drink plenty so as to flush it out.  Do not get dehydrated because this concentrates the urine and then kidney stones can form.

As you are having a retest in a month's time, I presume you are under the direction of your doctor.  He will be keeping an eye on things and will probably send you for further testing, like ultrasound to check your kidney and bladder.

Best wishes