Kidney Stones Community
Can small kidney stone be causing this pain?

Kidney stones, also called nephrolithiasis are solid pieces of material that form in the kidney from substances in the urine. Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms and passing kidney stones.

I started having intermittent back/side pain on my right side around 7 months ago.  The pain is now always there on my right side - just below my last rib on the right side/flank.  It feels very bruised.  Occasionally I get a sharp pain in my abdomen a few inches to the right of my belly button, sometimes its up a little higher.  I had a catscan a few months ago and that reveled a renal cyst on the left, and not much else.  I've also had an ultra sound just a few days ago.  Gallbladder, pancreas all looked good.  Liver was slightly enlarged and there is a stone in the right kidney - but it is small.  So my question is...could this little stone be bouncing around in the kidney causing the tender bruising feeling and occasionally the sharp pains?  I now have to make an appt for the urologist.  Any help would be appreciated!
The answer is yes, even a tiny stone, the size of a grain of sand, can cause tremendous pain.

When the stone does not move, you will not experience any pain or renal colic or get any infections.  Once is starts to move, you will experience the pain, sometimes you will have blood or sediment in the urine.  A urine test sometimes would show leucocytes, blood and or protein.  Sometimes there is nothing picked up on the urine test.

What you must do is to drink plenty of water - about 2-3 litres per day so as to flush it out.  

As you are male, when the stone, or grain of sand passes through your urethra you may experience severe pain as it is passing out.  This is because as it travels down the thin tubes it is scratching.  

If you feel in extreme pain, catch your wee into a container to see if anything comes out.

Once you have had a stone, the chances of you getting another one are much higher.

If you are lucky enough for the stone to pass on its own, if you catch this, get it analysed to find out what caused it.  

Don't forget to keep drinking the water.

When you have your appointment with the urologyst, he will be able to monitor you to make sure that the stone is not stuck.  

Best wishes
I think it can ..at least for me they do.  Sharp pangs come and go.  Tons of water is usually helpful .. and above post has great info.
How are you doing?  It's been awhile and I've been following your post.hoping you are doing better now ?

C~