Kidney Stones Community
ESWL without post op stent

Kidney stones, also called nephrolithiasis are solid pieces of material that form in the kidney from substances in the urine. Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms and passing kidney stones.

ESWL without post op stent

I am active, healthy 32 year old with an 8mm stone in my left kidney, no previous UTI or kidney issues previously.  I am scheduled in two weeks to go in for ESWL which I am okay with but they also want to put a stent in as a precaution for remaining pieces of the stone to pass. I am feeling like the stent is an aggressive pro active option and am very much opposed to anything foreign that could cause infection, pain. My question is, is this becoming just a medical standard for preventative issues in which case what are your thoughts of me saying no and taking chances of "possible" issues.
That is a pretty big stone at 8mm and the precaution they're suggesting is very probably for your own good. I've never seen a stent put in as a "medical standard" if it wasn't thought to be a really necessary precaution or just plain necessary. A stent most likely won't cause you any infection and very little discomfort either. When I had one put in, it was necessary and I didn't have any pain and certainly no infection from it. That was with stone number one over 30 years ago and after 40 plus stones since, no one has ever recommended I have a stent put in, even after my procedure last Spring of 2014 to remove 3 stones. I'd listen to your Dr. and let them put it in if they recommend you have one. It 'll be for your own well being and could even save you pain because if it weren't in and another large piece of your kidney stone can't pass and get out, you'll have more problems if it gets stuck in your ureta and they have to cut it to get the piece out. You would need a stent at that point anyway while your ureta heals. Let them put it in and fell lucky they cared enough about you to think of this at this point.