Kidney Stones Expert Forum
Enlarged left kidney, back pain, but no urinary infection

Welcome to the Kidney Stones Forum. This is a place to ask your personal questions about kidney stones and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of kidney stones.

My best friend recently found out that she had an enlarged left kidney through an ultrasound. She has recently also been experiencing lower back pain.  She was told to do a urine test, which ended up showing no signs of infection or abnormalities.  The doctors here, who don't have the best reputation of being thorough, simply said to come back in a month and see if there is any change.  In the meantime, the back pain continues.  The concerning thing is that she is a Type 1 Diabetic and I know that there can be complications related to that.  She has had diabetes for about 8 years now and recently got on the pump so her sugars are better managed in the past 2 years.  She also has a condition called CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) and feels many or all the symptoms associated with it which includes lethargy, body aches, etc.   She has some ovarian cysts and she also uses Mirena.  My question is: What steps should she be taking to diagnose the cause of the enlarged kidney?  Could it be an infection, diabetes related, a side effect from Mirena????,
1 Comment
She should have a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis.  By "enlarged" I assume you mean that it is distended, which is called hydronephrosis.  The cause of this is best seen on a CT scan (an xray test).