Kidney Stones Expert Forum
KIDNEY STONES

Welcome to the Kidney Stones Forum. This is a place to ask your personal questions about kidney stones and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of kidney stones.

KIDNEY STONES

I HAVE TWO 7 MM KIDNEY STONES IN MY RIGHT KIDNEY. THERE IS NO WAY I WILL EVER PASS THEM. SOMETIMES I HAVE A SHOOTING PAIN ESPECIALLY WHEN I LIFT MY RIGHT LEG WHEN WALKING. I HAVE MULTIPLE SMALLER STONES IN BOTH KIDNEYS. I HAVE NO MEDICAL INSURANCE BECAUSE OF PRE EXISTING. I HAD BOTH KNEES REPLACED SO NO INSURANCE WILL COVER ME. AM I DAMAGING MY KIDNEYS BY NOT HAVING THIS TAKEN CARE NOW?
As long as the flow of urine is not blocked and you do not have a urinary infection, you will not damage your kidneys.  This could be assessed by a simple urine analysis and a kidney ultrasound, neither of which should be terribly expensive even if you have to pay out of pocket (I don't know where you live, but in the US it is often possible to negotiate a price with a hospital or lab for a service you will be paying out of pocket for).

Good general advice to reduce the chances of new stones or the existing stones getting bigger is to eat a low salt diet, and drink plenty of fluids to aim for a urine output per 24hours of between 1.5 - 2.0 liters.