Kidney Stones Community
Kidney Pain During Urination ONLY After Holding Urine

Kidney stones, also called nephrolithiasis are solid pieces of material that form in the kidney from substances in the urine. Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms and passing kidney stones.

Hello all.  I want to thank you in advance for any help/advice you can give me.  I have done enough internet searching to determine that, as far as I can tell, my particular issue may be rather rare/unique, although that could be a false reading.

The first time this happened to me was in 1995, when I was under 30yo.  I was driving on a long distance trip.  I had drunk a big cup of coffee and felt the urge to urinate, but couldn't get to a restroom before the urge became overwhelming.  When I finally got to a restroom, my kidneys hurt pretty badly while urinating, alarmingly so actually.  I got really scared.  However, as soon as I zipped up and left the restroom, the pain completely disappeared.  

This scenario has repeated itself at times since then.  ONLY after ingesting a high-caffeine drink, and only after waiting "too long" to urinate, does this happen.  If I deliberately slow the flow of urine by constricting my muscles when this scenario is operative, it significantly mitigates the pain level felt, to the point where it is almost non-existent.  Additionally, I've learned that the dose of caffeine has a major influence on the severity of the pain induced.  If I drink a triple espresso and have to wait to urinate, it can be major.  If I have a standard cup of coffee type of dose of caffeine, the scenario doesn't happen at all, even if I hold my urine interminably.

Could this be reduced kidney function?  Do I most likely have kidney stones that aren't big or in sufficient numbers to cause an emergency?  Again, advice and suggestions would be most appreciated.  Thanks.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? While some research has reported a lower risk for stones in people who drink tea and both regular and decaffeinated coffee, holding your bladder or urine may lead to infection as well as kidney issues. For proper evaluation, it is best that you have this checked and have urine tests done. Direct clinical examination is recommended. Take care and best regards.