Kidney Stones Community
Kidney stones and UTI
About This Community:

Kidney stones, also called nephrolithiasis are solid pieces of material that form in the kidney from substances in the urine. Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms and passing kidney stones.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Kidney stones and UTI

I've struggled with UTI for the last 6-12mo. Urine cultures keep revealing E.coli. Most antibiotics are resistant except macrobid and IV meds. Urologist performed cystocopy (normal), ultrasound (normal with R kidney hydronephrosis), CT scan showed no hydronephrosis but two 2mm non obstructing LEFT kidney stones.  I keep having symptoms of what feels like uti that subsides with drinking a lot of water. Macrobid removes all symptoms while i'm on it but they return 2 days after I stop taking them. I don't have any other symptoms, the pain I usually feel is bladder discomfort and pain in urethra, some burning and urgency. Don't know what else to do now. I'm a 35 yr old female, otherwise healthy. With past history of 1-2/yr UTI's associated with sexual activity only. Oh, urine dipsticks always indicate nitrate + but leukocyte -. Urologist says that kidney stones should pass on their own, but otherwise doesn't know what to do????!

ANy help would be greatly appreciated.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Stones greater than 1cm need therapy. Extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy (ESWL) and percutaneous nephrolithotomy are the therapy modes employed. Also, looks like you are having chronic cystitis. For relief from pain apply heated pads, drink plenty of oral fluids and take frequent sitz baths for 15-20 mins. Prevention of episodes is by urinating frequently, practicing good hygiene after each bowel movement, taking showers instead of bathtubs and urinating immediately after intercourse. Practice these lifestyle changes they will help in the long run.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Kidney Stones Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank