Kidney Stones Community
Kidney stones and high calcium level

Kidney stones, also called nephrolithiasis are solid pieces of material that form in the kidney from substances in the urine. Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms and passing kidney stones.

Kidney stones and high calcium level

Hi-  I suffered from kidney stones this past year, had to have lithroscopy for one and have several small ones left in both kidneys.  I had my calcium tested over several months, the levels have come back 10, 10.2 and now 10.6.  After this last one, I had my PTH level tested and it was 10.  I would assume that I have had high calcium for some time and am producing stones (stone analysis indicated calcium stones).

I have continued to have right flank pain (side of lithroscopy) and blood in urine, also lots of stomach pain, nausea, fatigue, etc.  Endoscopy indicated small stomach lesions.  I feel generally lousy.  Can anyone tell me what the next logical test would be for elevated calcium and low PTH?  I suspect the high calcium has been going on for sometime to develop these symptoms.  

This doesn't seem to fit the parameters for parathyroid disorder.

Thanks for any input-
Tags: high calcium low PTH
Although I have thyroid issues, my clacium is normal  .. yet I produce calcium oxalate stones ... I wish I had some info to share, but am not sure how to answer your ? .. definitely get a good doctor and/or endocrinologist for a full workup.  It can take  a long time to get answers sometimes .. a good doc is half the battle I've found.

C~
Drink lots of warm water, and do kapalbhati pranayam for more than 20 minutes, twice a day. In a few weeks, the kidney stones will be flushed out.
After the stones are out, let me know what other benefits you noticed, and I will  suggest some techniques to stimulate the thyroid and parathyroid.

Kapalbhati pranayam -(Do it before eating)
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.
February 17 ,2012
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Dietary changes may help prevent kidney stone formation if you are prone for it. Prevention strategies for kidney stones include - Increasing your daily fluid intake and taking the recommended daily allowance of calcium. Increase your fluid intake to the point where your urine volume reaches 2.5 litres a day. This may mean drinking up to 3 litres a day, if you live in a hot, dry climate or if you are involved in strenuous physical activity. Increasing urine volume decreases the concentration of minerals in the urine. This makes it less likely that a stone will form. Also, frequent voiding and drinking plenty of water can help prevent urinary tract infection.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.