Kidney Stones Expert Forum
Kidney stones

Welcome to the Kidney Stones Forum. This is a place to ask your personal questions about kidney stones and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of kidney stones.

Kidney stones

It's been three weeks since my diagnosis of having multiple kidney stones on the right side. The Radiologist who gave me my stat results said I would pass them and didnt think straining my urine was something I needed to do. I finally got in to see my urologist he was upset I wasn't straining and wanted me to have surgery since I will be undergoing IVF treatments in March. I agreed because I don't want to deal with flare up while pregnant. By the time I will have the surgery it will of been a month. Over the past 4 days I've had, high bp and  so much swelling in my feet and ankles. I'm also experiencing horrible back pain as well. I called my doctor and was told that the pain gets worse I need to go to the ER.  For some reason my urologist isn't worried about theses symptoms but I am. Doesn't that mean my kidneys aren't working properly?
Is there anything I can do in the meantime besides drinking lots of fluids, staying off my feet, limiting sodium and applying heat to my back? Any advise ? I  would be greatful to have some pain relief.  My urologist plans to do ureteroscopy. I can't believe I'm going to have surgery a month after being diagnosed. I was given antibiotics the first week so I hope there isn't an infection going on because of the stones sitting there.  Also is the recovery from a ureteroscopy painful? Is it as bad as these stones?
Thank you for your reply
Stones in the ureter, even if blocking on one side, do NOT cause swelling of the ankles etc. as long as you have a normal kidney on the other side.  Certainly the pain your having could be from ureteral stones, and ureteroscopy is preferred in lower ureteral stones in child-bearing age women because lithotripsy may bruise the ovaries if used for lower ureteral stones.

Infection is unlikely as infection and an obstructing stone usually leads to a high fever and is an emergency.
It may be possible a stone is blocking your urine flow. that can cause the symptoms you are having.  I gather you are pregnant. You need to notify your ob doc and and all other docs involved. If no immediate steps are taken GO TO THE ER.  It also might mean your docs are not doing there jobs.  Retired critical care nurse with MSK.
I haven't been pg since August and had a chemical in December so no I'm not pg now. My ivf cycle got canceled the same week I was diagnosed with them.
I went in to have my stones removed on 2/15/13.when I woke up I was told I had a stent and removal of the stones wasn't possible at that time because my ureter was too small. The stent will make my ureter larger so the doctor can remove the stones in 10-14 days. In the meantime I'm having horrible pain in what feels like my bladder. Is what's being done with me standard protocol? Is it normally this painful?  Does this mean kidney stones I  pass hurt more then other people's kidney stones with larger ureters? I was never told that this could be the outcome of my surgery and that I would need subsequent surgery to get rid of these stones. Thank you for any advise you can lend.
This is always a possibility when ureteroscopy is done to eliminate stones.  The tip of the stent rubs against the bladder, and can cause bladder pain or a feeling of always needing to urinate.  The stent does widen the ureter to make a return look much easier to get the stones out.