Kidney Stones Community
Lithotripsy (EWSL) with Stent

Kidney stones, also called nephrolithiasis are solid pieces of material that form in the kidney from substances in the urine. Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms and passing kidney stones.

Lithotripsy (EWSL) with Stent

I have my Lithotripsy (EWSL) tomorrow morning (4-15-13) where they will bust a 16mm stone in my right kidney.  I have had a stone busted before back in 2010 and it was a piece of cake.  This time however they want to place a urether stent in so the fragments will flush easier and with no obstructions.  I am a little apprensive about the stent.  I have heard some say it was nothing and have heard others say it was horrible.  So, any comments from your experiences?  Was it a walk in the park, how long did it stay in, was it painful, whatever you have to say about the stent insertion, while it was in you and its removal.  I will be under general anesthesia for the procedure which takes about an hour for the stent insertion and the lithotripsy.  Im worried about how I will feel when I wake up, go home and until the time they remove it in a week or two.  Appreciate any input.

I have a stent in place (without my knowledge or consent) and I'm sorry but its almost as worse as the stone itself. Get ready for constant urination (about 30x on average a day for me), blood and blood clots during urination, pain in the penis when you try to urinate, pain in the flank area(pressure building behind the kidney). You may not be able to hold your bladder for long, 2 hours max in my case. I am having it removed on Tuesday April 16th/2013. You may not be able to deal with the pain associated with the stent as I have to take morphine and percs just to get by. If you have the option, DON'T... take an alternative if its available. For the last month since its been in, I have barely left my home, driving is very uncomfortable and a 5 minute walk is not possible in my case. I hope these answers help, feel free to PM me for other details/questions.
I had a stent in place after an emergency infection/obstruction and it really wasn't that bad.  However, every person is different & I would think every stent placement is different. Mine was internal w/o strings.   With anti spasmodic drugs I was okay for the 10 days and lucky after my surgery to remove the stone I didn't have to have another stent.
How are you feeling?