Kidney Stones Expert Forum
Recurring Kidney Stones with Chronic Pain

Welcome to the Kidney Stones Forum. This is a place to ask your personal questions about kidney stones and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of kidney stones.

Hello.  My son, D, has been suffering with chronic pain and passing kidney stones for nearly two years now.  In October he had one of his parathyroid glands removed.  It was 150Xs the size of a normal gland.  His surgeon did warn us that he could pass stones for up to 2 years.  Last Friday during a visit to the ER, we learned from the urologist who is familiar with his case that his kidneys are "lined with stones."  He was given a 1 time scrip for pain and a scrip for Flomax.  D does not have medical coverage, is unemployed and has been turned down for medical assistance.  The nephrologist will not see him without payment in advance.

What, if anything, can be done for a young man of 26 years of age with chronic pain and kidney stones that apparently are going to affect his health for quite some time?
If the stones are small, they may indeed pass with time.  If there are innumerable ones and he is in pain, or if they are large, the best way to get him a clean slate would be to do a percutaneous nephrostolithotomy (PCNL), which is a surgery going into the kidney with a scope through a small incision in the back and breaking up and sucking out all the stone material.  

I don't know where you live, but maybe a university medical center with a urology department would take on his case as charity.

It is not at all likely that the stones can be dissolved medically.  The nephrologist is not going to be able to do much for him at this point, so I wouldn't waste your money on that visit.  The urologist is the one to try to get him stone free.