Kidney Stones Expert Forum
Single Kidney

Welcome to the Kidney Stones Forum. This is a place to ask your personal questions about kidney stones and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of kidney stones.

Single Kidney

I am a 33 year old female with one Kidney.  I just found out December 2011 that I only had one during other tests unrelated.  For the past year an a half I have had right side pain in the area of my good, functioning kidney.  I have had blood tests, CT scans, ultrasounds, visits to nephrologists, urologists, etc...I was put on Cipro even though no infection was found just in case...All tests report a good healthy functioning kidney...all tests were perfect except the left missing kidney...has anyone had similar expeience?  Is it muscular?  Nerve damage?  I had an accident in 2002 in which I fractured my 2nd and 3rd lumbar vertabrae...does it take 10 years for never damage to appear?  I am just very concerned and hoping someone has had a similar experience...Thank you.
Some people are only born with one kidney, and if imaging and function tests of your kidney are normal, the pain is not likely related to this incidental finding.  
I am currently on hemodialysis , 3 months ago I was scheduled for access surgery and was completely floored by the result of a positive pregnancy test! I decided to go through with the pregnancy despite the risks...what I am curious to know is if the birth defects discovered the other day are more likely related to the kidney failure vs. type 1 diabetes... I am only 34. I did have an amniocentesis preformed as well... I am in denial right now...