Kidney Stones Community
Stent placement before ureteroscopy
About This Community:

Kidney stones, also called nephrolithiasis are solid pieces of material that form in the kidney from substances in the urine. Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms and passing kidney stones.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Stent placement before ureteroscopy

I was scheduled for a ureteroscopy on the 15th. When I woke from anesthetic I was told my ureter was too small tohave the procedure and a stent was placed in my ureter in hopes of making it large enough to have the ureteroscopy in 10 to 14 days. Is this considered standard protocol? Is it considered a birth defect to have an unusually small ureter? Are there anythings that can be done to help alleviate the awful pain I'm in from the stent. My dr never mentioned I would have pain. It's worse pain then passing the one kidney stone before the stent was placed.
I would have to say my pain has been a 12 on a scale of 1-10.  I have a chronic pain condition but have never experienced pure hell like I have been. Pain meds, azo standard maximum strength and 2 ltrs of water a day is what I am doing now along with rest and a heating pad. Is there anything else I can do to make life more manageable?
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
2066718_tn?1392396234
I wish there was something I could do to help you.  *hugs*
Hopefully someone will have some advice.   Thinking of you!
Blank
Thank you my dear. I hope I can at least get my pain level down to a manageable level till this stent is out.
Blank
Hello and hope you are doing well.

I hope you are on pain killers. Narcotic pain medications help with the pain. But they are usually prescribed short term. Medications called alpha one adrenergic antagonist are usually prescribed for the stent discomfort. They are terazosin, doxazosin, tamsulosin and alfuzosin.  Sometimes anticholinergic medications like oxybutynin (ditropan), detrol or vesicare may help. Please consult your doctor, he will prescribe appropriate medications for you.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Blank
168348_tn?1379360675
How are you doing now, a few weeks later?

C~
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Kidney Stones Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank