Kidney Stones Community
Stent until next Ureteroscopy

Kidney stones, also called nephrolithiasis are solid pieces of material that form in the kidney from substances in the urine. Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms and passing kidney stones.

Stent until next Ureteroscopy

Hi everyone. Any advice would be appreciated, and anyone who has had this procedure.

3 weeks ago i underwent a Ureteroscopy to remove a stone too large to pass...the stone is in my ureter right outside of my kidney. When i awoke, my doctor informed me that my ureter was too small for the scope to fit up that high. So he placed a stent to try and make my ureter wider for when he goes back in to try again.

Since the stent was placed, I've been miserable every day. I was told by my doc that i may be "uncomfortable", but said nothing about how much pain i would have. At times its unbearable. Still blood in my urine, along with these chunks of "tissue" (not blood clots). For the past few days, i have had a fever on and off.  I can barely move around the house to even try to pick up a little. Along with all of the bad bladder and ureter pain while urinating, i also get this stabbing pain in my kidney. I have been unfunctional for 3 weeks now, when i was told i would just be uncomfortable. I have called my doctor numerous times because my husband and i just have this feeling that something isn't right. My doctor doesn't seem to be taking this as seriously as i am.

Has anyone had this procedure before? Any complications, etc? Im just looking for some advice, or someone who could share their experience. Thank you SO much for taking the time to read all of this and respond. I am just so miserable and wondering others experiences.
I've only had one stent so it's hard for me to say because mine was just uncomfortable as you describe. I had an obstruction/infection and they had to bypass the stone embedded in my ureter.   I had meds for spasms and pyridum to help the sting/spasms/frequency & on Cipro as prevention.. I feel bad for you that they couldn;t get to the stone!  So so sorry you are going through this.

I would be concerned if it's more than a low-grade fever re infection.  Maybe a second opinion?