Kidney Stones Expert Forum
Tea and watermelon juice

Welcome to the Kidney Stones Forum. This is a place to ask your personal questions about kidney stones and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of kidney stones.

Tea and watermelon juice

Hello, I have the habit of drinking tea and watermelon juice often and a friend of mine said that those put an extra pressure on my kidneys. Does this habit increases the risk of kidney stone?

Many thanks!
Not necessarily.  The production of kidney stones is an interaction of many factors.  It is true that black tea contains oxalate, a common substance in kidney stones, but if your oxalate is a little high and your 24 hour urine volume is high because you are drinking lots of fluids, you probably wont make stones.  If you have been doing this for years and have never had a stone, I wouldn't worry.