Kidney Stones Community
WLS & Kidney Stones!

Kidney stones, also called nephrolithiasis are solid pieces of material that form in the kidney from substances in the urine. Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms and passing kidney stones.

WLS & Kidney Stones!

Has anyone ever had the misfortune to develop a problem metabolizing oxalate after WLS? I am unlucky to have discovered I have an ongoing problem.....Surgery date 9/11/06 first stone 3/07, upto date I've developed another 3 that were removed with a cystoscope, and the remaining large stone has to be removed percutaneously it's 10mm and located out of reach of a scope! Just wondering if anyone else has had same probs? - Jan
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi!
After bariatric weight loss surgery it is common to have high urine oxalate and low urine citrate -factors that lead to kidney stone formation .So you need to be extra careful regarding your intake of water and food. Increase your water and fluid intake. Eat low fat diet as the amount of oxalate in the urine increases with the amount of fat in the stool after bypass surgeries. Limit the intake of foods rich in oxalate like chocolate, cocoa, spinach and other dark green leafy items, nuts, soy products, most berries, beets, beans, and tea. Avoid excess of vitamin C in your diet as it can convert into oxalate. With all these precautions and appropriate medical help you will definitely have lesser chances of recurrent oxalate stones. Hope it helps.
Best wishes!