Kidney Stones Expert Forum
correlation between elevated ALT and kidney stone

Welcome to the Kidney Stones Forum. This is a place to ask your personal questions about kidney stones and receive personal answers from medical experts. You will also find other members who share your interest in the subject of kidney stones.

Dear Doctor:

I was diagnosed with a kidney stone in August 2012. After several hours in the emergency room the pain subsided. The ER Dr said it may have passed but if not, drink a lot of water and it soon will. Fast forward to October 2012. I had a routine physical and all of my labs were within range. I did notice my ALT jumped up to 51 from 33 the prior year. My GP was not concerned because the upper limit of the reference range for the lab was 72. I have read, however, anything >30 is too high. I found out the stone hadn't passed after two more painful episodes. Finally expelled it in November. My question is whether the stone could have elevated my ALT level. I realize ALT is found primarily in the liver but in a lesser degree in the kidneys. I was drinking alcohol daily, which I stopped after this last test, so I am not looking for something else to blame. Rather, I am merely wondering whether it's plausible the ALT level could have been elevated due to the stone. Thank you in advance for your time.

EjNiLb
There would be no effect on your ALT because of a kidney stone passing.