Kidney Stones Community
kidney stone

Kidney stones, also called nephrolithiasis are solid pieces of material that form in the kidney from substances in the urine. Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms and passing kidney stones.

kidney stone

hi.. my father was diagnosed to have a kidney stone on his right kidney.. he undergone a CT stenogram in which the result was (there's a tiny calcification in the hilus of the right kidney with a CT number of +263 HU and measuring approximately 0.5 cm).. can you please help me understand this? because according to the doctor my father needs an operation because the stone can be compared to the size of a quail egg.. I am just confused because of the 0.5 cm.. does it really look like the size of the quail egg? thanks
You are saying that his stone is 0.5 CM and not 0.5 MM, right!? There's quite a difference in the two sizes! If it is 0.5 cm, that is a pretty big stone and surgery would be needed to remove it. Don't know about your quail egg comparison question but a stone the size of your Dad's needs to be removed asap and won't be able to pass on its own. Your Dad's Urologist will be able to handle removal of the stone the best way possible for your Dad, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.