Kidney Stones Community
need help, advice, ANYTHING please

Kidney stones, also called nephrolithiasis are solid pieces of material that form in the kidney from substances in the urine. Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms and passing kidney stones.

need help, advice, ANYTHING please

My fiancée has had a lot of problems with kidney stones he has blood in his urine and his back hurts like they are bruised quite often what can we do to help this he has passed 4 stones in the last 8 months and we don't really know what else to do... any advice?
I was born with a condition that causes my body to create kidney stones. I have been to the emergency room 4 or 5 times in the past 18 years for the large stones, small ones pass ok. I understand very well the pain he may be in. My first stone caused bleeding and severe back pain also with pain in the lower abdomen area along with hot/cold flashes and vomiting. It may feel like someone is squeezing your kidney while at the same time stabbing it with an ice pick. I first though it was my appendix. I was wrong.
Go to a doctor and get a ct scan of your kidney, then they should be able to send that info to a urologist that can help you. I have to drink plenty of water every day. Drink enough water to make the urine light yellow to almost clear. Stay away from soft drinks if you can help it and processed foods high in sodium.
I currently have a large one in each kidney right now around 7mm-8mm in size which may require the doctor to blast with ultrasound. This link may be of some help to you- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidney_stone.
Good luck.
I forgot to tell you to  that products with citric acid in them, mainly lemons help to prevent new stones from forming, although it will not help with current stones.
Thank u so much for responding we will make sure to try that :-) he was in pain for about 3 weeks and finally passed 2 stones one night then the very next day passed 8 of many sizes all at once! And on the third day he had 2 more! I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes so we're definitely taking him to a specialist and also taking your advice we found a "drink" that claims to help made up of 2oz olive oil and 2oz lemon juice hoping this helps with future stones :-)
HI, I don't have any advise, as I was recently diagnosed with kidney stones too.  What I wanted to know was about the lemon/olive oil drink.  Could you tell where I can buy it or do I just make it at home and if so mix it half & half and then drink?  My doctor did tell me that lemonade was good but lemon juice was best.  I just made my own lemonade from lemon juice and water & little bit of stevia so that the lemon juice concentration was higher than normal lemonade.  Anything else I can try would be great.  I would really like to prevent this from happening again.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. Dietary changes may help prevent kidney stone formation if you are prone for it. Prevention strategies for kidney stones include - Increasing daily fluid intake and taking the recommended daily allowance of calcium. Increase fluid intake to the point where the urine volume reaches 2.5 litres a day. This may mean drinking up to 3 litres a day, if he lives in a hot, dry climate or if he is involved in strenuous physical activity. Increasing urine volume decreases the concentration of minerals in the urine. This makes it less likely that a stone will form. Also, frequent voiding and drinking plenty of water can help prevent urinary tract infection.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.