Kidney Stones Community
right side lower abdominal, kidney and lower back pain!

Kidney stones, also called nephrolithiasis are solid pieces of material that form in the kidney from substances in the urine. Discuss topics including prevention, symptoms and passing kidney stones.

i have had pain (that comes and goes everyday) on the right side of my kidney, it feels like the pain is shooting down into my bladder (or near it) because the lower part of my tummy is always in pain. it almost feels like menstrol cramps but more painful. i also recently have been having Lower back pain these past fews day(3-4 days) which again feels like menstrol cramps but more painful. I currently cant work full time because of the pain. I have little energy to do anything and i feel like im ALWAYS tired even when i get 12 or more hours of sleep, i also seem like i dont have the patients for anything anymore i feel like my mood has completly changed. my dr says i am healthy OTHER then these problems. i have gone for tons of testing and it all comes back to be nothing. i have a history of kidney stones (had a stent put in for 2 weeks back in 2009) and bladder and kidney infections (get aleast 10 or more a year)

ps: Im not pregnant (although i have been before)
I dont take birth control (to many Chemicals!)
im on NO medications.

PLEASE HELP!!!!
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The most common cause for this type of severe pain which starts at the back just below the rib cage and radiates to the front and goes into the pelvis is 1. Renal colic. It occurs as episodes of pain recurring in nature. The pain is spasmodic in nature as the ureter is trying to push through the obstruction, which is usually a renal stone. The ureter is the tubular structure that connects the kidney to the bladder. So each time the urine tries to pass through the obstruction it causes severe pain. It can be accompanied by nausea, vomiting, sweating and sometimes blood in the urine. The other causes for the pain are: 2. Pyelonephritis (infection of the kidneys) and Glomerulonephritis (inflammation of the kidneys), here you are likely to have fever, 3. Gastroenteritis, diverticulitis, bowel obstruction, polyps and Irritable bowel syndrome, here there should be accompanying bowel symptoms like diarrhea and vomiting, 4. Pelvic inflammatory disease, ectopic pregnancy, endometriosis and polycystic ovarian syndrome, here there will be pelvic pain with vaginal discharge/bleeding. Discuss these options with your consulting doctor.
He will ask for blood tests, urine analysis, an x ray and an ultra sonogram of the abdomen. Sometimes he may ask for an Intravenous pyelogram and a CT scan.  In the meantime take OTC Naproxen for pain relief and plenty of oral fluids.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.