Lactose Intolerance Community
I think my 18 month old may be lactose intolerant
About This Community:

Lactose intolerance is the inability to digest lactose. Lactose is a type of sugar found in milk and other dairy products. The. purpose of the community is to share support and information with Lactose Intolerant patients, their loved ones and caregivers. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Lactose Intolerance, prognosis, research, and treatments.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

I think my 18 month old may be lactose intolerant

Hello all, am wondering if anyone can help please. My little girl is 18 months old and has been suffering with a severe nappy rash but only at certain times and not always. Have ruled out skin conditions, washing powder and other soap products. My health visitor at weight clinic suggested it could be a food intolerance and all I could think of was citrus and wheat products, advised to keep a food diary and see the doc. She was ok for a while so didn't act on this straight away. But bearing in mind my daughter has had silent reflux from newborn to a year and then didn't drink milk at all only a small amount now and again in food I deaf think its milk. She has been having more and more lately in food and drinking milkshake and the last few days she has had quite a bit disguised in things and we have had the worst skin rash yet ( bleeding and screaming) and shocking sleep pattern and grumpiness so I am sure that it sound like lactose intolerance. But was wondering what anyone else had been through. And to add her nappies have been loose forever and the last few days have been at least 3 times a day and loose. Poor mare, will be seeing the docs and health visitor this week but have lost trust in the service I'm afraid. Thanks for reading xx
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
1340994_tn?1374197577
It sounds like she has more than one food allergy.  You need to have her tested before taking her off wheat, but you can start eliminating dairy immediately.  If it helps, but isn't a complete fix in a few weeks, then cut out citrus in addition and see what happens.  Get her tested for Celiac disease as soon as possible, but you can't take her off wheat and other damaging glutens until she has been tested.  
Blank
1006035_tn?1391310794
She may have a dairy allergy, instead of a just an intolerance. Other allergies to look for are eggs and soy. Celiacs disease can cause a severe rash and loose stools. Part of the test for celiac's is to remove gluten from the diet and see if it helps. Ask your doc about starting that. Take charge and push for what your baby needs. If they don't want to be proactive about it then you need to push them to be. So often doctors write off our concerns, even though we are right. Good luck!
Blank
Thank you for your replies, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be lactose as we had a few good days now back to the loose nappies and very sore skin. Am taking her to the doctors this week. Thought we had it but no luck with the first case. Will def push for what she needs, seems like no one wants to listen to mums who def know best. Thanks ladies x
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Lactose Intolerance Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...